Your Checklist before buying a Retirement Village Home
At Seniors Card Real Estate we believe that it is wise to sit down and ask yourself a few questions prior to making the final decision about your future life in a Retirement Village.
We also suggest that you discuss your options with your financial advisor or accountant.
Make a time to chat to one of our consultants but in the mean time, perhaps consider some of these .....
- Will the sale price quoted to me for my home be sufficient to purchase my new home in the Retirement Village that I have chosen?
- Can I afford to live in the Village of my choice and meet the current and future ongoing costs of Village life?
- What are the financial consequences if I choose to move out of the Village?
- Have I received adequate information about the retirement home I have chosen – do I fully understand the contract that I will be signing?
- Have I met some of the residents at the Village – am I comfortable about the lifestyle and social life there?
- Should my health deteriorate or my mobility be restricted, will my new home provide the assistance I may need?
- Can I take my own furniture into the Village, and how much? Will my current furniture be suitable or will I need to purchase new?
- Have I received all the information required to be given to me prior to signing the contract under the Code of Fair practice for Retirement Villages and the Retirement Villages Act 1987?
- Have I considered all other forms of accommodation that may suit me?
- Have I discussed my move with my friends and family?
Most folks are very excited about their move, but remember that if you change your mind after signing a contract, you will have a cooling off period and as long as all parties are notified in writing you can cancel the contract.
Contact us at Seniors Card Real Estate and we will be happy to steer you through any concerns or questions you may have.